D&D, sci-fi, anime and your favorite superheroes have secret lairs all around Las Vegas. And you’re allowed in. We’ve scoped out the best of the best. We challenge you to see for yourself.
Before you’re off to defeat this checklist make sure your character is on point.
- Heddy’s & Rainbow Feather: Wanna zhuzh it up? You need some feathers. Here, you can get all kinds of feathers, in any color you can imagine. And if they don’t have a color in the store, they’ll dye it for you.
- Black Cat Costumes & Novelties: Or maybe you’re starting from scratch. This is a good place to do it. They have hundreds of costumes, accessories and props in all sizes, so bring the fam.
- Star Costume & Theatrical Supplies: And finally, the face and hair. This family owned and operated shop has been around Vegas for 35 years. And they’ve gotten really good at makeup and wigs.
COMIC SHOPS AND TOY STORES
This is where to ramp up your collection.
- Alternate Reality Comics: You know the selection is good when you’re buying from fellow comic-book addicts. Katherine and Ralph share their addiction with you - comic books, artwork and live music.
- Little Shop of Magic: Buy, sell and play a game in the store born from Magic. Anyone can play. If you don’t know how to play, someone will teach you. If you do, check out its Wizarding team.
- The Velvet Underground Las Vegas: This shop is for the comic-book elite. It has a huge collection of silver age books, and all the favorites like Wolverine, X-Men, Mutants and Spider-Man.
- BattleZone Comics and Games: If your collection is extensive, you may need this place -tons and tons of comic books, merchandise, games and trading cards. It might be a good idea to join its subscription service so you never miss an issue of your favorite title.
- Rogue Toys: A store started in 2012 to give us back all those toys our moms gave away when we got “too old.” It has a vintage collection of video games, rare toys, G.I. Joes, Cabbage Patch Kids, Star Wars … the list goes on.
- Toy Shack: Inside Neonopolis on Fremont Street, you’ll find this vintage shop with a selection of the greatest toys from the ’80s and ’90s. (And if this place looks familiar to you, it’s because it’s been on Pawn Stars!)
Where to kick back, catch a show or debate the best generation of Doctor Who.
- Las Vegas LARPing and Battle Gaming: Join the battle. This weekly meetup group practices every Saturday. Newbs are welcome. And don’t worry they share equipment.
- Bad Owl Coffee: “Serious coffee with a hint of magic.” It’s the Hogwarts of coffee shops. You can get your regular cup of joe. But we suggest you venture out and try its butter brew latte or lychee cream pop.
- Fremont Arcade: Win prizes, hang out in a massage chair or step into the Star Wars Battle Pod. This spot is tucked into Neonopolis and has arcade games for all ages.
- The Sci-Fi Center: This is the nerve center for all nerds – part movie theater, part improv stage, part shop, part event space. There’s a little bit of everything. Check the calendar for movies you couldn’t see anywhere else, open mics, book signings and more.
- The Nerd: It’ll help you “find your inner nerd” if you haven’t already. Bowling, billiards and video games … all for free. To score bonus points, get 50 percent off drinks if you’re in cosplay.
- Millennial Fandom: The “fan” kingdom and a hub for cosplayers and all kinds of pop culture fans. Embrace your thing – video games, graphic novels, sci-fi, TV. And definitely go to an event … like “Jokerfy,” where you dress in joker-versions of your favorite character.
- Atomic Liquors: If your nerd style is historically based, grab dinner and drinks at the oldest freestanding bar in Vegas. Ask about Stella and Joe, the OG owners. You’re in for a history lesson.
Where to recharge your brain waves.
- National Atomic Testing Museum: Look into a piece of our world’s geopolitical history at this national science and history museum. Explore America’s nuclear weapons testing program through artifacts, simulators and replicas.
- Pinball Hall of Fame: Play pinball on machines dating 1950 to the 1990s in a 10,000-square-foot space dedicated to the arcade game. This bare-bones, thrifty place is made from pieces of Vegas − carpet from old convention centers and old change machines from the Golden Nugget.
- Marvel Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N.: Nerd-out in this interactive exhibit of your favorite Marvel superheroes. But prepare yourself − you may freak when you see Captain America’s shield, Vision’s birth cradle or Bruce Banner’s laboratory.
Where to meet fellow nerds. (A lot of them.)
- Star Trek: Meet people who love Star Trek as much as you do. Dress up and explore prop replicas, exhibits, collectibles, speakers, music and the theater. You might even get to meet the cast, take some pics and score some autographs.
- Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con: This is the world’s biggest cosplay fantasy. Creators, writers and artists working on the biggest fantasy franchises in the world come here to speak, check out original creations, and see the artists’ booths. You should join them.
- Magic: The Gathering: The world of Magic is united by the hunger to explore and control the vast wonders of the multiuniverse. Players gather in Vegas to use their magic fueled by Mana.
So, yes − pack your blue anime wig and your Level 10 Halfling Ranger player sheet. It’s time to take your fandom to Vegas. This city will be a powerful ally.